The Glucose Test

Between 24 and 28 weeks, all pregnant women have to take something called the glucose test, to determine if they have gestational diabetes. Just mention the word glucose to anyone who’s ever been pregnant, and 99% of them will give you the same disgusted, grossed out reaction. The other 1% threw up and passed out during the test and therefore don’t remember it.

I had to take that test yesterday. The only thing worse than the actual test is the fact that they told me they would call today with the results and NO PHONE CALL YET. That means that I have to wait until tomorrow (and you all have to wait until next week) to find out if I have gestational diabetes. I have absolutely convinced myself that I have it (evidence: gained 8 pounds in the past month, compared to 5 the month before) – but everyone keeps telling me it will be fine. Which is what people say when it’s not their ability to eat ice cream and chocolate for the next 15 weeks that’s on the line.

Here's the new me, 8lbs heavier than I was a month ago. Baby is the size of an eggplant.
Here’s the new me, 8lbs heavier than I was a month ago. Baby is the size of an eggplant, and my uterus, apparently, is the size of a soccer ball.

Anyway, the test wasn’t AS BAD as I thought it would be but its pretty gross. Instead of orange flavored sugar drink I got lime, which apparently gets better reviews. If the one I got is the “preferred” kind than I really don’t want to know what the bad kind tastes like. The stuff I got was like drinking the syrup that they pour into soda machines to make sugary drinks like Orangina and Sprite. You get 5 minutes to down 10oz (about the size of a  coffee mug) and then you have to wait around for an hour without throwing up or passing out, which, not surprisingly, negates the results of the test. If you make it without throwing up (it’s harder than you might think), they take some blood after an hour and send it to a lab to see how your body processes massive amounts of sugar essentially injected into your system. I’m not sure how my system handled it, but baby girl was PSYCHED. She went absolutely nuts kicking and punching and flipping around on her little sugar high.

In other news from the checkup – I am measuring exactly 25 weeks, my weight gain was of no concern to the doctor (easy for her to say, she doesn’t have to lose it after) and my blood pressure was 100/64. Baby girl’s heartbeat was ranging from 137-147. I still love hearing it on the doppler. It was also cool that unlike at my earlier appointments where the doctor kind of searches around your stomach for a heartbeat, at this point she pretty much puts the doppler near my stomach and you can hear baby’s heartbeat. Baby’s getting so big!

This week also marks my last appointment before my third trimester (which starts in 2 freaking weeks – holy shit!). After my next appointment, I start getting checkups every 2 weeks. CRAZY.

Also, for those of you who are wondering, Margie hasn’t had baby Charlotte yet. She is due any day now and we are SO. EXCITED. for her to get here.

AND……drum roll please, my sister-in-law Jenni is having a BOY! So excited for our baby girl to have a rambunctious little cousin to run around with 🙂

Not sure what else to post for this week so here is the chart:

How far along? 25 weeks (15 to go!)

Total weight gain: 14lbs (that makes for an 8 pound gain over the last 4 weeks – yikes!)
Maternity clothes?  yep
Stretch marks? thankfully not yet
Sleep: not too bad this week
Best moment this week: the look the waitress gave me at Buck’s BBQ when I ordered chicken wings with a side of mac and cheese.
Miss Anything? taking a full, deep breath (oh the joys of pregnancy)
Movement: all the time
Food cravings: hot dogs (I finally just ate one to see if it would help curb the cravings…..result: still craving them)
Anything making you queasy or sick: no, but this should be obvious considering this month’s weight gain
Gender: It’s a girl!
Labor Signs: Not yet, thankfully!
Symptoms: heartburn STILL
Belly Button in or out? in (but belly button ring is out, per doctor’s advice)
Wedding rings on or off? on
Happy or Moody most of the time: Happy, but anxious about the results of the glucose test
Looking forward to: warmer weather!!!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s