They say there are 24 hours in every day – but I assure you that the days following a pregnancy due date have more like 7,458.


I thought that this time around I wouldn’t be so anxious. I thought having a 2.5 year old would distract me, and that those final weeks would fly by as fast as one of Dan’s “you’re 40+ weeks pregnant so I guess I have to do this” foot massages.


But as it turns out, NO. Even when you know how fucking miserable the delivery is going to be, and how insanely crazy and terrifying your life is going to be afterward, in the final days of pregnancy you still spend 99% of your time wishing the baby would just COME OUT ALREADY. The other 1% is spent drinking McDonald’s milkshakes.

Lucy is now officially 1-2 days late (depending on which due date you’re going by) and to make matters worse, she is apparently growing like a weed. Before today, I hadn’t had an ultrasound since 23 weeks, and since I’ve only gained 28 pounds (4ish pounds less than I gained with Mia) and I’m measuring right about on track (my belly was 38cm at 39 weeks) I figured Lucy would be small to average size, just like her sister.

Not so, according to the ultrasound tech.

When Mia was born at 41 weeks, she weighed 7lbs 9 oz. That was a grand total of 1 oz larger than her estimated weight based on a 40 week ultrasound.

Today, at 40 weeks and 1 day, Lucy’s estimated weight is a whopping 9lbs 9oz. Cue the horror flick music.

Clearly, this one is taking after her dad. Long legs and all.

So with each day (minute, second, millisecond) that passes I can’t help but think about how much she is currently growing, and how on earth she is going to squeeze out of a 10cm opening. Sorry for the visual.

So for now it’s back to the incessant walking, lunges, squats and whining of a wild and crazy toddler that is testing my patience to infinity and beyond.


“Mommy, chase me! Mommy, scare me! Mommy, pick me up and spin me around!”

Thank god for those sweet, sweet moments just before bedtime when her little eyelids can barely stay open and she puts her hand on my cheek and says “Mommy, I love you. Stay with me a little bit longer.”

I will baby. I am baby. I’m right here.


40 weeks

How far along? 40+ weeks

Total weight gain: 28 pounds
Maternity clothes? pajamas and sweatshirts
Sleep: a little bit, but definitely in prep mode for a nursing baby. My body wakes up almost every hour, either to pee, or to remind me that this is what I have to look forward to for the next 2 years.
Best moment this week: Ordering a vanilla frappe, at one in the afternoon, and drinking the entire thing.
Miss Anything? being able to tie/zip my own shoes.
Movement: still moving around quite a bit – sometimes very painfully. Her long limbs are whacking me everywhere from my cervix to my ribs and I feel a little bit like a punching bag.
Food cravings: milkshakes
Anything making you queasy or sick: thinking about delivering a 10lb baby.
Labor Signs: 3cm and soft as of last thursday. Ultrasound tech said baby’s head was so low they couldn’t measure it on the scan. So, she’s ready…just waiting.
Symptoms: everything…contractions, pelvic pressure, other stuff that is too gross even for my blog.

Belly Button in or out? all the way out
Wedding rings on or off? packed away so we’re ready to run to the hospital at any minute.
Happy or Moody most of the time: definitely moody…this waiting game is torture.
Looking forward to: Seeing my little big Lucy for the first time and getting to hold her in my arms, instead of my belly.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s